I've said it before and I'll say it again, direct marketing is not dead (cringe). Don't worry, I'm not diving into the details, I'm only stating a fact. And let's face it, facts are cool. They validate statements and opinions, and quiet all the objectors. So... to validate my statement that direct marketing is not dead, here are ten facts about direct marketing and mail. A word to the objectors, a wise man named Confucius once said, "real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." For those who agree, grab your blanket and a warm cup of hot chocolate. Here are ten satisfying facts about direct marketing/mail.
1. 52% of over-performers say their organizations leveraged data and analytics to improve marketing effectiveness compared to just 35 percent of under-performers.
2. Direct Marketing produced $2.05 trillion in sales in 2012 - representing roughly 8.7% of US GDP.
3. "Traditional offline marketing," which includes direct mailers, was a $93.6 billion industry in 2012.
4. 79% of consumers will act on direct mail immediately compared to only 45%, who say they deal with email straightaway. This research is from the DMA.
5. Direct Mail Triggers an online response: 44% visit the brand’s website, 34% search online, and 26% keep the piece for future reference.
6. In just over 1200 surveys, 74% said personalization of mail was important.
7. 66% of consumers keep their mail, 17% regularly keep an item of interest, and 48% do so occasionally.
8. 56% of people think that print mail is the most trustworthy of all communication channels.
9. A recent Direct Mail Information Service report highlights that over 75% of direct mail is opened by the recipients and 63% read the contents.
10. According to a USPS poll, 64% of customers said they valued the mail they received, yet only 36% of business owners believed customers valued their mailings.
I hope you found these facts new and enlightening, and can make use of them in your marketing strategy moving forward in the year.